Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Gorilla Bread


Class started again yesterday...

Gross, I know.

That break felt about as long as a blink.

I remember when I used to be so excited to go to school. I used to LOVE school. I loved it so much that in 4th grade I decided to sleep on the living room floor the night before the first day of school...in my yellow, green and blue velvet dress, and white tights, and my black mary janes...

No joke, my mom woke me up that morning for school and I shot out of that sleeping bag so fast and declared in my annoyingly high-pitched 9-year-old voice "I'm Reaaaddddyyyy!!"

I don't even know that I ate that morning. I am pretty sure I grabbed my barbie back-pack that always looked like it was swallowing me and ran to the corner of my street to wait for the bus.

We had it made back in elementary school. I mean who else remembers how incredibly awesome it was to have a pizza party, where you could eat at your desks! Whaaaat?!

And the bake sales...oh the bake sales...There was always someone who made that "monkey bread". I never knew what the stuff was except that the more I ate, the more I fell in love.

What happened to this enthusiasm for learning and waking up in the morning? That, I don't know. Now, the only thing that gets me out of bed is the smell of coffee coming from my kitchen (thank God I can set that thing ahead of time), peanut butter banana oatmeal and the promise that the weekend is that much closer.

I don't have the promise of monkey bread or pizza parties anymore. But, I did stumble upon this "gorilla bread" and was immediately taken back to the "monkey bread days". Yep, I am so making this.

It...is...delicious...

I meant to only have one piece but one turned into 1 1/2 which turned into 2 and that turned into 2 1/2 and then I think I had a sugar black-out...

That's okay with me because this stuff rocks. I am telling you, make it...it's a Paula Deen recipe which means there is an abundance of sugar and butter...you know it's good.

What makes this stuff better than monkey bread? Yes, I said better...there is cream cheese in it! It's monkey bread with creamy goodness.

Yeah, I thought that might get you to go to the grocery store.

Good choice my friend...good choice.

Gorilla Bread
From foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside.

Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan.

Place half of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! I haven't tried monkey bread yet but this just went straight to the top of my list. X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...