Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Reuben Calzones with Horseradish Carraway Dip



Hello all! The strawberry festival was great. I have returned home and now have a slight waddle to my step. I could be sad about it but it is so worth it to stuff my face with malt vinegar drenched fries and fried dough covered in powdered sugar and strawberry topping...

Oh, I ate way more than that though...I also inhaled my annual texas tenderloin...dripping in grease and all. I gulped a strawberry smoothie which was probably half sugar and also a strawberry lemon shake-up.

Needless to say, I have a lot of work to do at the gym this week. I mean a lot...the damage I did to my body in two days cannot be undone easily...but everything was oh...so...gooood!

This dish here is something I came up with after making my buffalo chicken stromboli. I used the same dough base recipe but made it with rye flour (you can't have a reuben without rye).

I also wanted a dipping sauce and was inspired by this sauce I had at a restaurant here in German Village called Old Mohawk. It was some kind of horseradish carraway seed dip. I didn't hit the nail on the head, but I got close enough...I was satisfied.

Reuben Calzones
Dame Good

This makes 4 large calzones (feeds 8), 6 medium calzones, or 8 small calzones.

Ingredients:

Crust:
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups rye flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Filling:
12 ounces lean corned beef
32 ounces sauerkraut, drained
6 oz (8 slices) reduced-fat swiss cheese
1 cup reduced-fat thousand island dressing

Sauce:
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons horseradish
3/4 teaspoon carraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon dried parsely
1/2 teaspoon chopped onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

Directions:

Dip:
The earlier you make the dip the better. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. Mix together all of the dip ingredients and refrigerate until the calzones are baked and ready to be served.

Crust:
In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let stand 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.

Stir the olive oil, honey and salt into the yeast mixture. Start to mix in all of the flour. When mostly mixed, transfer the dough to a mixer with a dough hook. Once mixed, sprinkle in the dried oregano, garlic powder and onion powder.

Tip dough onto a floured surface and knead until the ball is smooth and the seasoning is mixed in. Put the dough in a large oiled bowl. Spray the dough with cooking spray or roll around in oil so it is completely covered. Cover with a towel or saran wrap and let stand in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.

When the dough is doubled, tip it out onto a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into two even pieces. Form into a tight ball and let rise an additional 45 min-1 hour.

Calzones:
(These directions are for the 4 large calzones. One of these can feed 2 people)

Preheat oven to 400F.

Divide the dough into 4 even pieces. Try your best to roll each out into a thin 10-in circle. Spread 1/4 cup of the thousand island on half of the dough. Layer two pieces of swiss cheese on top of that. On top of the cheese, layer 3 ounces of the corned beef. Top the corned beef with 1 cup of sauerkraut.

Fold the other half of the dough over the half with all of the fillings. Fold over and pinch the edges so they are tightly sealed.

Poke the calzone a few times with a fork to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg wash and place calzone on a lightly greased baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...