Saturday, June 4, 2011

Strawberry Waffles

It has been a little while since my last post...shame on me. I assure you all though that this doesn't mean I haven't been doing my thing in the kitchen...in fact I have something baking in the oven this second.

I've just been busy...very very busy. Sure that is the most widely used and heard excuse in the book. But it's true I tell you.

It's the last week of class until "summer vacation" which for me is like 18 days that will feel like 18 hours. We all know what the last week of class is like....having no motivation and really struggling to tie up all the loose ends to make sure you pass and move on to the next torturous quarter.

I love college but school and I don't get along. If college could be college without classes I would stay forever. Honestly...well sans "the freshman 15" that is. That wasn't too fun. Am I right or am I right? Boys, you don't know what I'm talking about so scoff away...

Speaking of gaining weight...last year I did a post on my hometowns annual strawberry festival. It is one of my most favorite times of the year and guess what?! It's this weekend. I am heading home in a couple hours and thought I would squeeze in a little time to nurture Dame Good Eats. I'm going to Troy in a pair of skinny jeans and coming back to Columbus in stretchy pants. Just you wait and see...

I would take pictures but to have such a thing documented would be rather embarrassing.

In honor of the strawberry festival I would like to post this recipe I found too interesting to leave alone. I had some extra strawberries from the strawberry tiramisu I made and was looking for something different to do with them...If there is an excuse to use Shawn's waffle maker I'm grabbing a hold of it and holding on tight.

Strawberry waffles....yeah...I know...I too was all "waaaaaah?!" (for those of you who have a pug and know what the questionable/confused head tilt is, that is what I did).

They're tasty...different...but tasty fo sho. Strawberry waffles+fresh strawberries+whipped cream+syrup=done and done.

Now wish me and my arteries good luck this weekend. Please and thank you!

Strawberry Waffles
From food.com

Serves 3

Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
2 teaspoons sugar substitute (Splenda)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sliced strawberry
1/4 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons natural applesauce or 2 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg

Directions:

Combine flours, flax seed, Splenda, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl with a whisk. Form a well in the center in preparation of wet ingredients.

Into a blender, place strawberries, milk, applesauce (or yogurt), vanilla and egg and puree until smooth.

Add the wet strawberry mixture to the dry flour mixture and whisk just until all is moistened. Do not overmix.

Spoon about 1/2 cup batter onto preheated waffle iron that's been coated with cooking spray. Cook until done and crispy.

Serve hot with toppings of your choice: sugar-free syrup, Cool Whip Free and extra sliced strawberries.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Megan said...

Made these tonight. Just used all purpose flour, strawberry yogurt instead of plain and no flax seed. These turned out great with a lot of flavor! Will make again. Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...