Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lighter Egg Salad


I love reading books that are movies...I like to read the books first of course. But I love seeing the books being played out on the big screen and seeing whether or not what I imagined in my mind is what I will see on the screen...

I am the type of person who likes to give something my all so when I start a book, I am hooked. Mentally, I go to a place where nobody can reach me, and I don't want to come back until my nails can be chewed no more, my eyelids are so heavy and my eyes burn so much I can't take it anymore...

I tend to finish books in less than a week...If there is a movie, I HAVE to see it right away. Yes I am guilty of this with "The Notebook", the "Twilight" series, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series, and now "The Help".

Yes, I just started "The Help" last night and am now about 150 pages in. I am taking a quick break because my eyes were starting to glaze over and I was beginning to forget what real life was like...I was mentally on the cotton fields and developed a thick southern accent.

Basically, I give books so much of myself that when I finish them I am genuinely sad. I read so quickly and am so eager to finish, but when I do there is always a tiny grieving process I go through. If it is a good book, I don't want it to end!

Then, also my life feels so boring, so mundane and irrelevant. Why am I not hiding from my parents in a passionate relationship with a man I am not supposed to love? Why don't I have a vampire boyfriend? Or a mob of Russian spies conspiring against me? Hmph!

I am now getting anxious again to discover what is going to happen next in my current reading endeavor...

I can't really relate books to egg salad...exept that in "The Help" the women have a bridge club meeting and eat deviled eggs...there...that's how I am making books relevant to this post.

Take that!

I have always loved egg salad but am not fond of all of the fat and cholesterol in the yolks. After Easter, I was left with a dozen pastel-colored eggs that looked like they were done by 3-year-olds when in fact they were done by a 23 and 24-year-old...

Don't believe me?


See? Impressive right?

Well hey, we have been out of practice for years. It aint like riding a bike.

Anyways, I turned to my trusted healthy recipe "friend" Ellie Krieger and played around with her recipe. Here's what I got.

Lighter Egg Salad
Adapted from foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:

8 hard boiled eggs
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup white onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons pickled relish
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsely, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Dice 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites and put into a small bowl. Add the mayonnaise and mustard and stir with a fork, mashing somewhat for desired consistency. Stir in onions, relish, parsely and season with paprika, salt and pepper.

3 comments:

GirlyGirlCooks said...

I get super sad too when I finish a book. It's like losing a friend. I love your recipe for a lighter egg salad. I am book marking this for the next time I make egg salad!

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

It's so not bad for being healthy! Ps you should definitely read "The Help" if you haven't...it's so good (and I haven't even finished it yet!)

Anonymous said...

I get sad too. I loved The Help. You should also read A Discovery of Witches. Love love loved that book. It's a page turner. Jaimie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...