Monday, March 15, 2010

A Cure For an Overstimulated Sweet Tooth: Savory Peach Chicken


So I've baking A LOT lately which equals me eating a lot of sugar. Sometimes, after so many sweets I just NEED something savory and delicous. I know this is really a baking blog but my passion lies in the kitchen in general. I LOVE to cook and don't see the harm in sharing these recipes every now and then too :)Baking just has a "special" spot in my heart.

Anyways, I saw this recipe on Foodnetwork.com and just HAD to try it. Peaches are my favorite fruit and I like to do healthier cooking to make up for all the butter and sugar in baking. I halved this recipe because I was just cooking for myself, and it turned out phenomenal...this is most definitely in my top 5 favorite dishes to make now.

Savory Peach Chicken

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon canola oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 pounds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 large firm-ripe peaches, cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen peaches, (about 4 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Meanwhile combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and orange juice in a small bowl and set aside. When the chicken is browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.

Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, the soy sauce mixture, and the peaches to the pan. Turn the heat up to high and cook, uncovered, for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is nicely thickened and the peaches soften. Add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce, turn the heat down to moderate-low, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

In the meantime, toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium-high heat stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the toasted almonds.

Yield: 4 serving, 1 piece chicken, 2/3 cup sauce and 1/2 tablespoon almonds per serving

Suggestion: serve with brown rice..ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...