Wednesday, June 27, 2012

German Style Potato Salad

I love the neighborhood I live in....

The streets are made of brick and are incredibly uneven. The houses were built a hundred years ago and look like cottages that were plucked straight out of Germany and dropped into Columbus, Ohio.

Each house looks like it has its own fascinating story as the steel gates are rusted and the gardens are extravagant. You can usually poke your neighbors house just by sticking your hand out the window.

I love it.
It's not for everybody but I appreciate it. Growing up with strong German roots, German Village feels like home to me. I appreciate the shabby aspect of this neighborhood. I love the idea of walking into a cottage with wood floors, brick walls and claw foot bathtubs and calling it home.

I'm a little creepy in that when I go for runs around the neighborhood and see a new house for sale, I do an about turn and run home to Google the house just so I can take a peek on what the inside beholds.

My grandma always makes this German Potato salad that I crave at least weekly. When I Google "German Potato Salad" in the hopes of finding something similar to hers, nothing seems to compare...

But I always see recipes similar to this. I played around with it and decided it HAD to have sauerkraut. It's a must.

German Style Potato Salad
Dame Good

Ingredients:

4 potatoes
4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped (I like to bake my bacon :))
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons white sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces sauerkraut
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.

Add the olive oil, flour, sugar, water and vinegar to skillet and cook over medium heat until dressing is thick.

Add bacon, potatoes, sauerkraut and green onions to skillet and stir until coated. Cook until heated and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...