Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lighter Salisbury Steak


Some classmates and I were talking about an interesting topic. Now this may make some people roll their eyes and scoff at me but roll on people, roll on.

I think people hit an age where the number becomes irrelevant and unimportant. We know it's not 17...R-rated movies hello! Or 18...can we say legal? 19 and 20 are whatever...we all know what 21 means. But 22...23...24...meh...

I have reached the point of the mundane age. When people ask me how old I am I literally pause a moment and think. It's like sudden amnesia...

22...wait, no that was last year...right? Maybe not. What year is it? Oh, I'm 23...I think...yeah, 23. Crap I'm just getting this down and before I know it I will have to remember the number 24.

Hard work I tell you.

Ages ago I used to enjoy this dinner that came out of a blue box with a penguin on it. It was a flimsy black plastic "plate" with salisbury steak, corn, potatoes and something that looks like a burnt brownie with brightly colored sprinkles on it.

It was awesome.

I recently had a random craving for some salisbury steak. Weird I know. But that's how my cravings work. They just appear...out of thin air...and are very pushy.

I decided to search for a healthier salisbury steak and couldn't decide on one so I combined a couple (then added my own twist on it)...because that's how I roll...if I can't decide...it's both, plus some "Tarrah" craziness, end of story.

Cake or ice cream?

Both, duh! With sprinkles and a cherry please :)

Salisbury Steak
Adapted from tasteofhome.com and

Ingredients:

1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup each green pepper, chopped
1/2 cups celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pounds lean ground beef (ground sirloin)
1 lb ground turkey
1 can (10-3/4 ounces)98% fat-free condensed golden mushroom or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 1-oz packet dry french onion soup mix
1 medium white onion, sliced into thin ribbons
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the oats, eggs, green pepper, celery, onion and salt. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight oval patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on both sides; drain.

Put the onion ribbons in the same skillet and saute until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.

Place patties in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the mushroom soup, dry onion soup, onion, ketchup, mustard powder, worcestershire, water, salt and pepper; pour over beef and turkey mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.

1 comment:

purabi naha said...

This looks beautiful and yummy! It is definitely going to taste delish with those mushroom and dry onion soups. Bookmarked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...