Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Salad


I recently broke what I believe to be my 5th pair of sunglasses in the past year...I thought I could save them and patch them up with a little super glue...

Well, super glue and I have never been friends and somehow during this process I managed to get wet super glue directly in my eye...

Ouch!

I used to be very resourceful when it came to fixing my sunglasses as I have a history of breaking them. I once fixed a pair with nail polish and the rubber back of an earring.

Not so much luck with this pair. I never buy expensive sunglasses for the simple fact they have a short life expectancy with me. I am now beginning to wonder if in fact the reason I break them so much is because they're cheap and not because I am clumsy.

That is the psychologist in me speaking.

But fat chance. I am just clumsy. There are many things that I have found I have a habit of killing aside from sunglasses...

Headphones.

Cell phones.

High heels.

Digital cameras.

Being clumsy is expensive eh?

Fortunately for me this salad recipe is rather low-maintenance. There is some chopping and such involved but there is a slimmer chance of having an accidend while making this.

For normal people anyway.

I love the homemade blue cheese dressing that goes with this salad. I plan to use it allllll the time now.

Buffalo Chicken Salad
From foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:

Salad:
2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper hot sauce (or other hot sauce), plus more to taste
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 hearts Romaine, cut into 1-inch strips (about 8 cups)
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 carrots, coarsely grated
2 scallions, green part only, sliced

Blue cheese dressing:
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup plain fat-free greek yogurt
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Directions:

Preheat the broiler. Put the chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet or hammer so the chicken is an even thickness of about 3/4-inch, then cut the chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce and the oil, add chicken and toss until the chicken is well coated. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and broil until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.

In a large bowl combine the Romaine, celery, shredded carrots and scallions. Toss with the dressing. Divide the greens between 4 plates, top with the chicken. Serve with extra hot sauce.

In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and yogurt into the mayonnaise until smooth. Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to whisk until all the ingredients are well combined. Stir in the blue cheese and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Serve salad with blue cheese dressing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...