Thursday, July 21, 2011

Greek Yogurt Lemon Mousse


It's hot outside.

Like really REALLY hot. The kind of heat that makes it hard to keep your eyes open because the heat is literally burning your eyeballs. You know? Like when you are squinting so hard it hurts?

That kinda hot.

I want to complain...and I guess I kinda just did...but I must remind myself I live in Ohio where extreme weather is expected. And I was kinda maybe just recently whining about the cold and the snow.

I suppose I am hard to please when it comes to weather.

If I'm looking at this scorching heat in a "glass half full" kinda way then I guess it offers up a great excuse to desperately chase after the ice cream man, or induldge in some ice-cream in mountain-sized portions, or even eat that 7th popsicle (you know the kind that comes in a plastic bag) even though the edges have cut open the sides of your mouth.

There's the silver lining I suppose.

You could go a healthy route though. I find this here mousse to be extremely refreshing and bonus! It's guilt-free. It's made with greek yogurt and fresh lemon and is perfectly light and fluffy.

You hot? Make this...

Greek Yogurt Lemon Mousse

From kitchenmonki.com

Ingredients:

1 cup Fat-Free Greek Yogurt
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
3 tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1⁄4 cup Water
1 envelope Unflavored Gelatin, about 2 1/2 teaspoons
2⁄3 cup Egg White, from 4-5 eggs
pinch Salt
3⁄4 cup Sugar

Directions:

Combine yogurt, zest, juice, and extract in a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside.

To a separate small bowl, add water. Sprinkle gelatin on top and set aside.

Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water. Boil over medium heat. Meanwhile, to the bowl of a stand mixer, add egg whites, salt, and sugar, stirring gently to combine. Once water is boiling, carefully lower stand mixer bowl into saucepan. Whisk gently until sugar is dissolved and eggs are near-scalding to the touch. Remove bowl from pan.

Scrape gelatin into egg mixture and whisk quickly and thoroughly to combine.

Secure bowl to your stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip egg mixture at medium-high speed until the outside of the bowl is totally cool to the touch. (This took me about 8 minutes.) Once this occurs, add yogurt mixture. Continue whipping a few more seconds, until it's all combined.

Divide mixture among serving vessels and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. Serve cold. My suggestion? Serve with fresh berries...yum!

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

So many details, what a wonderful Post, great photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...