Monday, May 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Cherry Walnut Bars





Who likes free stuff? Me me!! I am actually kind of amazed at the lengths I go through for free stuff...or to win something. Winning is so much fun am I right?

I don't know who else remembers being at that tender young age where you realize boys actually don't have cooties...in fact boys are kinda cute. I reached this stage around the same time that Usher arrived on the scene. Yes I am talking about Usher Raymond. I remember when "My Way" came out and I was infatuated.

I am not the biggest Usher fan nor do I consider myself obsessed (as I do with many other things...pugs, chocolate, margaritas...you know) but I have been secretly jealous of everyone who was able to snag some tickets to the Usher concert this Wednesday...

Jealous until I won a ticket of my own...yep! Thats right! I won't say what I had to do but I'll attribute it to having a gorgeous friend and lots of  loud "fans" aka Shawns friends...so not really "fans" but its fun to think that.

Needless to say I am excited...it's been a while since I have gone to a big concert...in fact I think the last one was Justin Timberlake...Notice the theme here...what'r'ya'gonna'do?

These bars=good. You can mix and match with different fruits and jams.

Whole Wheat Cherry Walnut Bars
From foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:


1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten to mix
1 egg white
3/4 cup chopped dried tart cherries
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Cooking spray
1/4 cup "fruit only" apricot preserves

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the honey, applesauce, oil, egg and egg white until well combined. Stir in the oatmeal mixture until well combined. Add the dried cherries and walnuts.

Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Put the preserves in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. As soon as the bars come out of the oven, brush with the preserves. Cool completely and cut into 12 bars, about 4 by1 1/2 inches each.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...