Monday, May 2, 2011

Baked Chicken Eggrolls



Does anybody else have an endless list of all the things you wanted to be growing up? I was thinking about my list the other day. I have gone through life changing my mind about what I thought I wanted to be.

Of course it all started with wanting to be a princess. Not that I knew what that meant...to me it was big pretty sparkly dresses, endless amounts of ice cream and unicorns to ride. Then I learned that you become a princess by marrying a prince and ew...boys had cooties, so that went out the window.

With the longing of sparkly attire still fresh in my heart there was a short period of time when I wanted to be a figure skater. In fact, I was certain I could make it to the olympics...I mean I could almost skate backwards on roller skates, how hard could ice skating be? This is also the point in life where I learned gravity is no friend of mine...

We still haven't become acquainted...

From the falling I realized being a singer/dancer was out of the question.My ego forced me to try it anyway but I bruised my pride one day when my brother and I were putting on a "concert" for my mom and her video camera....

Yes, this has been documented.

I was twirling around on top of the dresser whipping around my mic like I was "Miss Thang" when my foot slipped and I plummeted to the crack between the dresser and the wall. I brushed myself off and pretended I did it on purpose...I mean performers look cool when they fall right?

My dreams and aspirations after the multiple face plants were a bit more realistic. Thank God for that because otherwise I would be that girl on American Idol singing off key and trying to bust out moves that only cause me to break my ankles. Either that or I would be like that "Friday" girl and be the most hated "performer" on YouTube.

I'm not interested in being hated. Though now that I think about it...I could so be the next William Hung...or even the "pants on the ground" guy...hmm...perhaps realism is overrated?


Baked Chicken Eggrolls
Adapted from Tasteofhome.com

Ingredients

12 ounces (around 2 cups)  rainbow blend cabbage
1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups finely diced cooked chicken
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Pinch cayenne pepper
salt, pepper to taste
16 egg roll wrappers

Directions:

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; add the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetable are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; remove from the heat.

Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat.

Spray tops of egg rolls with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

GirlyGirlCooks said...

"You're lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!" Ahhh! Hysterical :)
Prince Harry is available if you want to be a princess still...but I think after seeing that wedding on Friday, everyone is going to be after the only single prince! LOL!I still struggle with what I want to be. I've changed my major about 6 times in the 4 years I've been in college!

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

Haha me too! I think I am just now finally on the right track in my 5th year of college lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...