Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Buffalo Chicken-Sausage Penne





This here is part two of my buffalo-chicken sausage experimentation. I love trying to make up new things and come up with my own recipes. It is super excitng when something works out...and not so surprising when something doesn't (as it is bound to happen, especially with me).

Luckily for me, this one worked out. Meaning this wasn't a repeat of the many times I threw stuff together as a kid expecting something out-of-this-world only to find myself gagging on whatever my concoction was at that time. I remember many times as a kid I tried to invent "soup" recipes by boiling water and throwing any and everything I could find in the pot. I'd say I've improved a bit since then...

I actually got the idea  for this recipe off of the package of buffalo-chicken sausage and ran with it from there. I came up with a greek yogurt blue cheese sauce and I really liked it...

Sounds weird I know...

But that's how I roll. Sometimes the unexpected is better than the expected. I think I held my breath the entire time I was throwing stuff together for this sauce and praying it would work. I hate wasting food...absolutely hate it!

Clearly, I was able to breath again...so here it is. Hope you like it.

Buffalo Chicken-Sausage Penne
Dame Good

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

Pasta:
16 oz Al Fresco Buffalo Chicken-Sausage (4 links), sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup celery, chopped
12 oz whole wheat penne
1/4 cup fresh parsely, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:
6 oz non-fat plain greek yogurt
1 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning
3 tablespoons Franks hot sauce
4 oz reduced-fat blue cheese crumbles
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1 tablespoon skim milk

Directions:

Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stir and set aside. Cook pasta according to the directions on the box.

While the pasta is cooking heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium sized pan. Add the pepper, celery and onions and saute for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken-sausage and stir until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.

Rinse cooked pasta and toss together with the sauteed vegetables in a large bowl. Add the parsley and some salt and pepper. Stir the sauce into the pasta mixture until combined. Serve warm and enjoy!

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

GirlyGirlCooks said...

I pretty much love anything with Frank's Hot Sauce, so I've going to have to try this!

Taylor said...

Mmm I love anything with buffalo in the name...sounds delicious!

Plain Chicken said...

I've never heard of buffalo chicken sausage - I'll have to look for it at the grocery store. The pasta sounds great. I love buffalo chicken anything!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...