Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Strawberry Peach Crumble


I am literally giggling like a little school girl.

Fall is coming!

The past two days have been a glimpse of fall weather...there's been a slight chill and some leaves are starting to fall.


Fall makes me happy.

I love the weather, it's football season, pumpkin pie, my birthday, sleeping with my windows open...the list? It never ends.

This is my absolute favorite time of year.


I want to curl up with a book in my coziest clothes with pumpkin candles lit and the fall breeze coming in through the window.

Heaven.

Did I mention the pumpkin spice latte is back?! I am due for a walk across the park to the old bookstore across the street from Starbucks where I can buy a new book and indulge in some pumpkin deliciousness...


I want to jump in a pile of leaves! Anyone?

I guess fall makes me a little excited...or ADD...whatever. I'm happy. :)

This dessert is a great one to make for the end of summer. If you can find peaches and strawberries still in season go snatch them up! The strawberries and peaches scream summer while the oats, and cinnamon and the crunchy crumble make you long for fall.

It's perfect.


Strawberry Peach Crumble
From Foodnetwork.com


Ingredients:

Butter, for pan
Filling:
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
1 pound medium strawberries, halved
1 1/2 pounds yellow or white peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1/2 cup light brown sugar

Topping:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup old fashioned style oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Directions:

Serving suggestion: whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or gelato

Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.

For the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and arrowroot until smooth. Add the strawberries, peaches and brown sugar. Gently toss until the fruit is coated. Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared pan.

For the topping: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, oats, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. Pulse until mixed. Add the butter. Pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Sprinkle the mixture over the filling and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is light golden. Cool the crumble for 5 minutes.

Spoon the warm crumble into bowls and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...