Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes





A friend of mine has been requesting for me to make him muffins. I knew his birthday was coming up so I was waiting. While I do like muffins and will bake them from time to time, cupcakes are much more birthday-appropriate! So I searched for a happy medium and found one. These lemon poppyseed cupcakes are amazing. The glaze itself I think makes it. I found the recipe from my book "Cupcakes" by Shelly Kaldunski. I replaced the sour cream with greek yogurt because it was all I had and just crossed my fingers, they turned out beautifully!

Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup sour cream (or nonfat greek yogurt)
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest

Directions:

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350F. Lightly spray a standard 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, poppyseeds, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, using an electric mixer on high-speed, beat the sugar and the butter together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, lemon zest and lemon extract and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute. Add the sour cream (or yogurt) and beat until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake until golden-brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.

In a bowl whisk together the confectioners sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest until smooth; the glaze should be spreadable. If it seems too thick, whisk in additional lemon juice a few drops at a time; if it seems too thin, whisk in additional sugar one teaspoon at a time. Use right away.

Spoon the glaze over cupcakes (I dipped them) and serve.




Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Holly said...

These cupcakes look so pretty and sound delish!! Love lemon-so refreshing:)

Kat said...

These cupcakes sound so good. I love lemon and poppyseeds.

chelsea marie said...

oh my gosh, do you remember how tiffany used to make these for grandpa? not with that icing though... they look amazing.

Stephanie said...

mmm my mouth is watering!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

Wow, these cupcakes look amazing!!

Just found your blog today...love it!!

baby cribs said...

Pretty cupcakes! I can't wait to try it.

Beth said...

I found your blog on a chocolate no-bake recipe comment. I love to bake and cook so I thought I'd follow your blog.

These sound amazing. I actually just made these from a box though. I will be trying this recipe soon.

Love your blog.

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

hey chels, i dont remember tiffany always making these for grandpa, but maybe on some unconsious level thats why I love lemon poppyseed muffins so much...hmmm...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...