Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tequila Berry's Salad



I've mentioned once or twice that my dad's side of the family lives in Minnesota. I was born there but was too young to remember when we moved to Ohio. Sure Minnesota is freezing cold and starts having blizzards in August but in the Summer, it is beautiful. With all the lakes, there is so much to do. The summer weather is perfect...not too hot and you just really come to appreciate the great outdoors. I also love going up there for Christmas because it really is like a winter wonderland...of course I can only do it for a week because I detest the cold.

Every summer, for as long as I could remember, we would drive the 13 hour drive to Minnesota to celebrate the 4th of July with family. We always ate a lot, watched a ton of movies and had the craziest water balloon fights. One year, my aunt Donna made this salad for a cookout. I've always remembered that odd salad fondly. It was sweet, but had mayonnaise and bacon...very strange but oh-so-good. Apparently, this salad recipe comes from a restaraunt called Tequila Berry that is no longer around but was once enjoyed in Minneapolis and well-known for this salad.

After a pretty quick google search I found an endless list of Tequila Berrys salad recipes. They were all different so I pick and chose from several and put the salad together the best I could from memory. It turned out just like I remembered.

Tequila Berry's Salad
From...all over google :)

Ingredients:

Salad:
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1/2 pound of bacon, cooked and chopped
1/4 head of cauliflour, chopped
1/3 cup parmesan, grated
1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed (I added this for fun)

Dressing:
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 cup mayo
2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:

Combine all the salad ingredients and. Combine all of the dressing ingredients. Then combine the salad and dressing until well mixed. Serve immediately.
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a close recipe to the original: (no peas, no buttermilk)

2 heads lettuce, chopped (or 2 1-lb bags pre-cut lettuce)
1 head cauliflower, cut up in tiny pieces
1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (no substitutions)
2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 -1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions:

1
Combine lettuce, cauliflower and bacon.
2
Mix mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar.
3
Add dressing to salad, add parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/tequilaberrys-salad-210191?oc=linkback

Unknown said...

You are correct, no peas, buttermilk, grapes, almonds, etc. I grew up in the area and went there many times, and the food was fabulous! Thanks for getting it right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...