Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bierock Casserole





Bierocks are a traditional German dish. They're usually pastry or rolls stuffed with beef and sauerkraut or cabbage. I noticed a recipe once that was a bierock casserole and I loved that idea but noticed the recipe seemed bland and needed more oomph. So I took the idea and ran with it and decided to make it for my German potluck where I made the German Pumpkin Cheesecake and Pumpkin Cream Puffs.

I think it is safe to say that a lot of people are turned off by sauerkraut. I know it does not smell the best but I love it. I think it is delicious, especially on a brat with brown mustard and onions. I expected that my potluck guests would be reluctant to try this dish because of the sauerkraut but they all tried it and proclaimed that they actually liked it and barely noticed the sauerkraut. Yay! I love surprising people with food!

Some fun facts about German food and drink (for fun thats why!)

You would have to try one kind of German bread per day for almost a whole year in order to be able to taste them all! There are over 300 different kinds of bread in Germany.

Germans really do love beer; they rank second in world-wide beer consumption per person after Ireland.

Betcha didn't know one of those! ;)

Bierock Casserole
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

3 (8 oz) cans refrigerated reduced-fat crescent rolls
3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb turkey sausage
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 (1 oz) package dry onion soup mix
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 cup dark german beer (such as becks or st paulis girl)
1 1/2 cups pepperjack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Brown onion, ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain fat then stir in beer, sauerkraut, onion soup mix, caraway seeds, and garlic powder and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Press one and a half packages of crescent roll dough in the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish (9x13). Spread the meat and sauerkraut mixture on top. Sprinkle with pepperjack. Then layer the rest of the crescent roll dough on top of the beef mixture, overlapping just a little. Sprinkle with the parmesan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Yum! I will have to try this (GF) next time. It would take a lot less time than individual pies- love that idea!

Kathryn said...

German potluck? I LOVE this idea and will be copying it at some point. We are German on both sides and I've never thought of this, great idea!
I'm also going to make this casserole, as soon as I read your comment last night my husband was all "find that casserole"...thanks for posting how you make it!

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

Oh yay! I really loved the German potluck we had the bierock casserole, goulash, german potato salad, german pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin cream puffs...it brought me back to the German dinners I would have with my grandparents who are from Germany. What's great about this casserole recipe is there is a lot of room to play with. It's easy to add or ommit ingredients and flavors according to your own taste preferences. I hop you like it! :)

Roxanne said...

That is an awsome recipe Miss Tarrah! I gotta try it ;-)

Sassyrose said...

True comfort food. I'm putting this one on my to-do list! :)

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

This is definitely comfort food! Hope you like it! :)

Chris Hartley said...

I have been making bierocks for about 2 years or so. I work in a kitchen in a nursing home as a cook, so one day my boss asked me to make these for all the residence, so I did. Well i had supplies left so I went ahead and made a monsterous bierock about 1 1/2 feet squared, like a huge calzone. well my bose was impressed. Your idea brought that memory up. Way to go, looks scruptious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...