Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins


In high school I worked at Tim Horton's.

In high school I also had an insanely fast metabolism. I would eat donuts like it was my job...not sure it was an official part of my job but I sure acted like it.

I could pop donut hols in my mouth fresh out of the oven one after the other without the worry of being in danger of suffering severe punishment to my hips.

Now, not so much.



I don't buy donuts now. Why? Because it would be ugly. But I crave them.

I usually slow down a touch when I pass them at the grocery store...let myself drool a little bit then whine to myself about how I miss the days of being able to scarf down a meal from taco bell, followed by a coke and finished off with some chocolate cake without suffering any repercussions whatsoever.

Getting old is dumb.

I have stumbled across many options and recipes that soften the metabolism blow a bit. Sure, I can't have a deliciously greasy and sugary donut now without it immediately following an intense pang of guilt and a tear or two or two hundred. But...BUT, I can opt to make these muffins that are as close as I can get to feeling content about it.

These muffins remind me of those sugared donut holes. (donut, doughnut? I'll never know). Are they the perfect recreation or substitute? Well, no (these are baked, not fried like those crack-laced baked breakfast treats we all know and love)...but they're good for those days when you know you don't deserve a treat because you have skipped the gym for 3 weeks days straight but you WANT a treat.

Have at it.




Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
Adapted from Sweetpeaskitchen.com

Ingredients:

1 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup skim milk

For the Coating:
1/2 cup melted light butter or spread
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
In small bowl whisk together oil, sugar, egg and milk.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, 22 to 24 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time.

While the muffins are baking, combine sugar and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Place melted butter in a small bowl. Once baked, shake muffins out immediately and while hot, dip in melted butter, then roll in sugar and cinnamon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...