Sunday, August 7, 2011

Buffalo Wing Onion Rings


Lately I have found myself gravitating towards my favorite childhood snacks.

My pantry now has a box of dunkaroos (the best kind that had the cinnamon graham cookies and vanilla icing with sprinkles) and a box of chocolate teddy grahams that are enticing me at all hours of the day.

I am not sure what possessed me to purchase these boxes of processed sugar and memories of the many summer nights I spent in front of an episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark" (hiding under a blanket of course).

But I am glad I did.

For they are still oh so good for my mouth and soul alike.


Something I wish I had been able to enjoy when I was a kid? These buffalo wing onion rings. Why have I never thought of these until now?! I have been really missing out...

I must say though...making onion rings...it's tedious. After dipping the 4th ring I was "so over it". But the final product made it worth it.

If you have the patience of a 2-year old, make these with a partner. I wish I did. But I was rewarded for my hard work...I really was.


Buffalo Wing Onion Rings
Dame Good

Ingredients:

1 large white onion
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup hot buffalo sauce
2/4 cup egg whites
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup corn flakes
1 oz package dry ranch seasoning
1/2 cup wheat flour
cooking spray

Directions:

In a casserole dish, combine onions, buttermilk and 1/2 cup hot sauce. Allow to soak for about 2 hours.

Place corn flakes in a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Mix corn flakes, bread crumbs and ranch in a medium-sized bowl.

In another bowl, mix egg whites and 1 tablespoon of hot sauce. Put the wheat flour in a separate bowl.

Take each onion and dip in the flour, follow by dipping the same onion in the egg whites and then finally in the bread crumb mixture. Place onion rings on a baking sheet fitted with a baking rack (I actually use a cooling rack) so the onions cook evenly. Once all the onions are dipped, spray lightly with cooking spray.

Bake at 450F for 10-15 minutes flipping onions halfway. Serve warm with ranch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...