Sunday, April 3, 2011

Coconut Macaroon Granola





This has been a fun week for me even though it was the first week back at class (grossss). Tuesday night was my best friends birthday and we went to a Dashboard Confessional concert. I am not ashamed in the least to say that they have been my absolute favorite since I was 16. They played all their older stuff and it really brought me back. It's amazing how time flies by. I can't believe I was getting my license, dating my first real boyfriend and listening to Dashboard 7 (almost 8, yikes) years ago.

I am really trying to live in the moment and not take life for granted. I feel I tend to worry about the past and future so much that I don't even get to savor the moment. So it's not New Years, but thats my resolution.

I had a bag of coconut in the freezer and was craving macaroons. I knew if I actually made macaroons it could end in a sugar coma so I decided to try something different. I am so glad I did because I absolutely love this granola! Its similar to the almond coconut granola I made a while back. Sure this isn't the healthiest of all granolas but mix it in with vanilla greek yogurt and you'll feel a little better. Try this, I promise it wont disappoint!

Coconut Macaroon Granola
Dame Good

Makes about 5 cups

Ingredients:

3 cups oats
3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, your choice)
1/2 cup canola oil
7 oz (1/2 can) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the oats, coconut and salt in a large bowl. Combine the oil, milk, and extracts in a small bowl and combine until mixed. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray. Spread the granola evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove pan from the oven to stir the granola, mixing up well so that it is baked evenly. Bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown and the coconut is toasted.

Store in airtight containers.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...