Monday, January 24, 2011

Spicy Sweet Potato and Chicken Soup






I don't know about anyone else but I am so over this winter thing. We have gotten so much snow lately and I feel like I am constantly freezing. Snow before January=nice...snow after january=torture. One of the few things that makes me feel warm and fuzzy during this long and terrible season is yummy homemade soup. This is one of my new favorites...it is delish.

Sidenote: my digital camera broke! Not that it took the best pictures but it was okay enough. Now I am left with one that takes terrible terrible pictures so I apologize ahead of time...it will have to do until I can afford a nice new one. Does anyone have any suggestions for cameras that take good food pictures but don't cost an arm and a leg?

Sidenote #2: I just dropped Kirby off at the Vet to get fixed today :/ he seemed so scared. I'm nervous for the little guy and my house is so lonely without him. When I dropped him off their power was out but hopefully it comes back on today so we can get this over with...my poor little baby :(

Spicy Sweet Potato and Chicken Soup
From Foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled
2 ribs celery
1 large onion, peeled and halved
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 to 2 chipotle chili in adobo, finely chopped, plus a spoon of sauce from the can
Salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon dry thyme, eyeball it
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
5 cups chicken stock
1 large sweet potato
3/4 to 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, a generous handful, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream, for garnish, optional

Directions:

Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 turns of the pan.

While soup pot heats, chop carrots in half lengthwise then slice into thin half moons. Add the carrots to the pot while it heats, stirring to coat the carrots in the oil. Chop and drop in celery and onion, chopping as small as you can, but don't make yourself crazy. Add the garlic, chipotle, and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Season the veggies with salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook the veggies together 1 minute. Add the wine and reduce a minute. Add the stock to the pot, cover the pot, and raise heat to high. Bring the stoup to a boil, remove the cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into quarters lengthwise, then thinly slice into bite size pieces. Add the cut chicken and sweet potatoes and simmer 5 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through. Turn the heat off and add the scallions and cilantro. Serve each portion of stoup with a dollop of sour cream on top.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Holly said...

This sounds yummy-I love that it spicy:) I have a sweet potato soup recipe but its pretty bland so I'm gonna try this one soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...