Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pumpkin Roll






It has been one of the most unlucky weekends of my life. Thursday, I got up to leave my last class of the day totally excited about my first hair appointment in 6 months (I know...not good). It wasn't long before I realized the weight of my keys was off and my car key and keyless remote were missing. I quickly went to campus police/lost and found only to receive the bad news that no keys were turned in.

Two girls from my class noticed I was distraught and offered to help me search (super nice of them I know...I'm making them goodies as a thank you). We followed my steps back and forth and sideways but no keys. I was sure my mother had my spare but she informed me she did not, and neither did my dad, or my ex. Crap!

One of the girls from class took me home and I started calling dealerships about getting a key made. They informed me they need my title...well sir, that would be in my locked car. CRAP! I headed back to campus to see if the campus police would unlock my car so I could get my title. Thank god they could. But as they broke into my car the alarm went off. The security guy or whatever he was informed me, with not an ounce of empathy, "your alarm will go off until your battery dies...cyah!" Gee...thanks.

I once again began calling dealerships who let me down one by one by claiming to not be able to make that key for my particular car. Of course there was one guy in all of Columbus. I quickly called him, very high in hopes as he was my only option, but apparently his internet was down and he needed it to look up my key code. Great!

The next day I called them up and they told me the internet was back. A friend of mine wisked me away to the dealership which happened to be in one of the worst areas in Columbus...yeah, scary. He made me a key in no time and I was as eager as ever to get back to my car. The moment of truth arrived and the key, yeah it didn't work. I call the dealership to ask them what I can do and they tell me "you're outta luck. this means the previous owner changed all the locks and we can't change them again because they've been discontinued." Whaaat?!

My next option was to call a locksmith. I was told one was on his way as my friend and I sat in an empty parking lot munching on caramel corn and complaining about life. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes go by when I get the call that he can't find the code to make the key. I promptly explained that the code hadn't worked and I need a new key made off of my current lock. He didn't understand so I proceeded to call about 6 other locksmiths who all led to this same technician who barely spoke English. After 3 hours of waiting and crying and some mild freaking out we headed to my apartment to come up with a plan C....or would it be D...or W for that matter?

A friend from work saw my desperate facebook status and told me that Triple A has made her a key off her trunk before. I don't have triple A but immediately decided it would be more worth my money to buy a membership than pay some locksmith who is trying to rip me off by charging me $400. So this morning, after work, I called Triple A and had a locksmith meet me out in the parking lot. First he went to the wrong parking lot but I called and got him over to the right one. He saw the key the dealership made me and instantly knew it was the wrong one....yep...really.

He cut me a new one and got into my car like it was nothing. Surprisingly, it wasn't dead. The alarm was going off and because of that, it wouldn't let my car start. After what seemed like ages leafing through my manual he figured out how to turn it off.

I now finally have my car in my possession. I miss the keyless remote but feel like 3802 lbs has been lifted from my shoulders. It is amazing how much we (people) can take things for granted and how sometimes it takes something drastic to make us realize it. Much like this pumpkin roll...(had to tie it in somehow right?) :)

I love these. I personally think they are great any time of the year and not just for the fall or for the holidays. Its a lot easier to make than it seems and so worth the waiting time for it to cool. And that is coming from the girl who 9 times out of 10 burns her mouth because she just can't wait.

Pumpkin Roll
From Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

roll:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

filling:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes.

Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner's sugar, and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake-in-towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.

Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.

When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately re-roll (not in the towel this time), and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...