Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemade Whatchamacallits





Yesterday was Shawn and I's one year anniversary :). With it being so close to Christmas, it was hard to think of what to get him. I am poor and stumped enough when it comes to getting Christmas gifts. I then remembered that the day we became an "official" couple he brought me a Christmas present. In a pretty shiny Victorias Secret bag was a Victorias Secret gift card, Reese trees and king-size Whatchamacallits. I had never had a Whatchamacallit, but being that I am obsessed with peanut butter and chocolate, Shawn insisted I try one. Yeah, they rocked. Between the two of us we ate like 64789 calories worth of candy that night.

I thought it might be a cute/fun idea to try to homemake Whatchamacallits and Reese trees for him. I figured it was a little personal thing I could do that was special to us. It took me forever but I finally put something together that I thought was the closest homemade take on a Whatchamacallit. The recipe made a ton, so I think he was quite overwhelmed when I handed over the 10 lbs worth of homemade candy after a big meal at a fancy restaraunt in German Village. Our meal was finished off with a creme brule trio, so I think sweets was the last thing on his mind. Oops!

1 year ago
Today (well yesterday) :)

This is so cheesy and I know it but this past year has been amazing. I graduated college, I got my pug that I have wanted for as long as I can remember, I got my own apartment in a neighborhood I am absolutely in love with, I got a job at a cupcake bakery and I got to spend it with a man whose existence is beyond my wildest dreams. Seriously, he is everything I could ever ask for and more. With him being away and traveling all the time for work it is hard. But because of that we don't take the time we have for granted and we spend quality time together rather than worrying about the quantity of time. Our relationship needs a lot of effort because of the distance and he actually puts in that effort. I have never had this before; what I have with him. I am the luckiest girl :) really.

Okay that's enough cheese. Candy anyone?

Homemade Whatchamacallits
Dame Good adapted from Allrecipes.com/Peanut_Butter_Treats and Allrecipes.com/Chewy_Caramel

Ingredients:

For peanut butter treats:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 (10 ounce) package regular marshmallows
1/2 cup peanut butter
6 cups Crisp Rice cereal

For the caramel:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 pound (1 cup) light brown sugar
1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 pinch salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the chocolate:
2 12oz bag (about 3 cups) milk chocolate chips
1/2 tablespoon shortening

Directions:

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter until melted.

Add Crisp Rice cereal. Stir until well coated.

Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Cook for 2 minutes at that temperature. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.

When the caramel is ready, pour on top of the rice crispys. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.

Over a double broiler, melt the chocolate chips and shortening stirring constantly. When the caramel has cooled. Cut into desired sized bars. Move the bars to a cooling rack with something underneath to catch the chocolate (baking sheet, parchment paper etc...). Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel side first. Transfer to fridge for 10 minutes to cool. When chocolate has hardened, remove bars from fridge. Flip each bar over carefully. Cover the peanut butter treat side with the melted chocolate and move to fridge to cool again until chocolate has completely hardened on both sides. Enjoy! :)
Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Natasha said...

Awww! Cutest story ever! To many more anniversarys! <3 I will have to try this recipe soon, along with all your others! :P

Nandita SS said...

Happy anniversary Tarrah. This is a very cute post. Great recipe!!! Will surely give this a try :)

Holly said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Love the story too sounds like you got yourself a good one!;) I love whatchamacallits!!! They were my favorite candy bar growing up!!

kang said...

happy anniversary! I've never ever heard of whatchamacallits, its a tongur twister.. anyway, have a lovely xmas! :)

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

Aw thanks guys!!! :):):)

Dale said...

Yours look more authentic than mine, though, like real Whatchamacallits!

Jennifer Carr said...

First, you're adorable! I love the idea to make a gift that is so meaningful! Second, you're a lifesaver! My hubby wants homemade Whatchamacallits for his birthday and I stumbled upon your recipe early in my research! I'll be making these soon! Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...