Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Strawberry Angel Food Cake Roll



Let me just start by saying I realize that these pictures are horrible...not my usual horrible but extra horrible (and yes, I use this disclaimer often). While this dessert tasted amazing it did cause me a little grief. Don't be alarmed, I'm sure I put the grief upon myself...

Not only did my lack of patience get the best of me when I decided to roll the cake while it was still warm, causing it to start to fall apart, but the original recipe called for a pan that I found to be too small. Halfway through the baking process, the angel food cake overflowed the pan and stuck to the sides and bottom of my oven...in fact, scratching it off with a butter knife is still an ongoing process and Shawn and I made this on Valentines day.

So I'm lazy...

And I procrastinate...so what?

Speaking of Shawn, he really made my day Monday. No, he didn't send me a bouquet or make me a cheesy cd with all the songs that remind him of me...I came home after a long day of class and work to an empty sink and a dish rack full of clean dishes...

Does anyone else find this to be exremely romantic and very sexy? No? Just me?

Well, this dessert was for him. He is not huge on sweets but I knew this is something he would love. He likes the lighter desserts with fruit and I like sinfully indulgent rich desserts...yes, we are opposite in so many ways, but fortunately I think it balances us out. I can be incredibly high-strung and tend to worry about everything, he helps mellow me out with his extremely laid back personality.

Thank God for that...

Ps: make this.

Strawberry Angel Food Cake Roll
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 (16 ounce) package angel food cake mix
5 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
1 (8 ounce) container reduced fat strawberry yogurt
1 (1 ounce) package instant sugar-free vanilla pudding mix
3 drops red food coloring
2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping

Directions:

Line a 12-in. x 18-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper. Prepare cake according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up jelly-roll style in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.

In a bowl, whisk the yogurt, pudding mix and food coloring if desired. Fold in whipped topping. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up. Cover and freeze. Remove from freezer 30 minutes before slicing.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Angela said...

Yes, I absolutely agree that a man who does the dishes for you (especially in a home with no dishwasher) is amazing, sexy, wonderful, you name it, he's it! It's such a great thing to come home to, the symbol of the time you don't have to spend hovering over the sink :)

ADEQUATE STEEL FABRICATORS said...

Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. vegetable rack, slotted angle racks Delhi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...