Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin Cookies


I have learned that there is definitely a plus side to having to go to class...and that is having people to bake things for.

I don't want 48 cookies all to myself...scratch that...I don't NEED 48 cookies all to myself so when I make something, I can have a couple
few and then bring the rest in to some guinea pigs...my classmates :)


I've made three kinds of pumpkin cookies so far...these got the best reviews so I'm posting them first.

They're cakey which is expected with pumpkin cookies. I personally think the glaze is the "kicker". It kind of tastes like a caramel or maple syrup glaze...weird? Try it, you will know what I am talking about.


Pumpkin Cookies
From food.com

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt


Penuche Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2-2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Have ready some ungreased baking sheets.In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and the sugars together until light and fluffy.Blend in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract.In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.Mix flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture.Drop tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until golden around the edges.Remove warm cookies and transfer to racks.Let cool completely for a least one half hour, then frost with glaze.

For Glaze:
In a medium saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium heat until bubbly. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute or until slightly thickened. Beat in the milk. Blend in confectioner's sugar until the glaze is smooth and spreadable. Using a silicone basting brush, which I love and use religiously now, or a butter knife to spread glaze on cookies is the best tip. Please note; this glaze will harden fairly quickly. I suggest that you keep the saucepan over the stove on the lowest heat possible to prevent it from hardening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...